Friday, September 24, 2010

Tradition

True Aggie is the term given to those who on homecoming, A-Day or on a full moon each month a full moon promenade to the A next to Old Main and kiss their love, friend, or stranger. On homecoming or A-Day, neither kisser needs to be a True Aggie. However, when the moon is full each month, one person must already be a True Aggie in order to pass on the tradition to the other. In case this is forgotten, a plaque is placed on the base of the platform explaining the rules.

The tradition started in 1916 when a group of young men from Salt Lake City, known as the Be-Noes, came to USU. The Be-Noes were a group of boys in high school that for some reason were not allowed to form a club. Since there would be no club, they decided to call themselves the Be-Noes and have a club anyway. At USU, one Be-Noe member built the A as we know it - a four-tiered white A base with a blue platform on top. The tradition started when a young man had to kiss a willing young lady atop the A under a full moon at midnight. The ritual spread across the campus and that became the way by which a person could become a True Aggie. (This is from an article in the Utah Statesman by Amber Bailey in Oct. 2003)

About a week ago, my pal Shane called me up and said, "Shan, I need you on my committee, join the Student Alumni Association." So of course I said I would and I am now part of the Traditions Committee. We are in charge of the Homecoming Parade and every True Aggie Night. It's pretty exciting stuff! Allison and I handed out the cards as people came off of the "A" so we got to witness all of the spit-swapping, and there were some nasty kisses. So gross! But there were also some cute couples there. A girl I share mutual friends with kissed a goat. Hands down the best one of the night, so funny! She is my hero. That is how I spent my Thursday night, standing in the cold watching people kiss. No I am not a True Aggie, but I've still got three semesters left! :)

1 comment: