Friday, December 17, 2010

Basketball

I love college basketball. It is definitely one of my passions and I have a special love for Duke and Mike Krzyzewski. I think Coach K is amazing! I was working in the library earlier this week and happened to check-in his book "Beyond Basketball" and of course I just had to check it out and read it. It is so good!

He takes different keywords such as adaptability, balance, commitment, motivation and writes his interpretation of them. He applies them to basketball and shares a story about some of his best players. It is really inspiring and makes me wish I never gave basketball up. He gives such good advice and makes me want to be a better person. Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book.

"Always surround yourself with individuals who will help to enable your courage when it is lacking within."

"Our goal should not be to be our heroes, but rather to learn from them and then do the best possible job of being ourselves. That is how I define excellence."

"The four words, 'I believe in you,' can make the difference between a fear of failure and the courage to try. When you look someone in the eyes and tell them, 'I believe in you,' you are letting them know, 'You are not going to take this journey alone. I'm not going to allow you to.' Belief raises your confidence level and allows you to try things that are impossible to do by yourself."

I seriously love this book and I am going to make my sisters read it over the break. Basketball is great, but everything he says can be applied to everyday life and I love it!

Coach K is the bomb, that's really the only way I know how to describe him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment