Thursday, April 21, 2011

My thoughts on group projects...

This might turn into a rant.
But before it gets to that point I will say that this semester I have worked with some of the best groups members so far in my college career.

Example 1: Market Research
We all get along, do our work, and have fun (or spell fun as we like to say). There isn't much more to say, it's been a great group.

Example 2: Global Marketing Strategy
We set one night a week for the entire semester to meet and we have stayed on track. This project was pretty intense but it is turning out to be an awesome project. Three of us girls are super planners and are very organized. We get along, assign things out, get them done, and then help out each other. The boy is very intellectual and gets a kick out of us, but he also does all of his work. Then there is WWIII. But really, this group member has been causing a major scene and dragging our professor into the drama. Our paper is roughly 55 pages long and she has contributed to maybe 2 1/2 of them. She doesn't come to meetings, doesn't get her sections done on time, and doesn't try to get along with us. She has been so difficult to work with. Her excuse is that she had to pick up a second job and doesn't have time to meet with us. Hello! If you would have told us, I don't know, 10 weeks ago....we would have worked around it. And seriously, do I not work two jobs as well? We all have busy lives. If you can't make time for school work, then you don't deserve a decent grade. I love peer evaluations.

Example 3: PR Research
All semester long we have had to write short group memos. I start the doc, write out our main ideas, then the other group members edit and add a little. They are super short so it hasn't been a big deal. There was one group member that rarely did anything and that was super frustrating. So now it is time for this group to compile the class papers into a report. This lazy group member is supposed to start a draft before our meeting on Monday. He sends us an email Monday afternoon, " So I just realized my add/drop slip never went through and I'm not really in the class." Wow. Finals are two weeks away, can you say idiot?

I like to call the marketing major the "group projects major." That's what it is. I don't mind the projects, I kind of find joy in doing research and then coming up with creative solutions. I mean, it is what I want to do with my life. But I am just tired of the group dynamics around here. Most of my group members are graduating and I guess some of them are lacking motivation. But I still have a semester left, and I care about my grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment