Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Parents

I have been reading a book called "Extremes: How to Keep Your Virtues From Becoming Vices" by Robert Eaton and it has really changed my perspective on a lot of things. I started reading it in airports down in South America and I decided today that I need to finish it. I just read a chapter that talks about parenting and how to find the balance between being too lenient and too overpowering. It made me reflect back on high school and the way my parents handled different situations.

We had rules and my parents were usually firm on those rules. Curfew was midnight. I hated it. But now I am ready for bed by 11 every night. There really is no reason to stay out past midnight unless something is going on. I always wanted to just because everyone else could. As my roommate Kaela has reminded me several times, "The Holy Ghost goes to bed at midnight and so should you." My mom would wait up for me to get home every weekend or have me come in to tell her I was home. I always thought it was so she could make sure I was on time, but now I see that it was because she loved me and wanted to make sure I was in and safe.

I got to drive the family car when I lived at home and I had to put gas in it. It was a pain, but why did I ever complain? Welcome to life, you have to take care of yourself.

I can't even remember the last time I was grounded. That was one type of punishment that we didn't see too often. In fact, I think I probably got grounded three or four times past the age of 12. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a total angel child, but I did have a conscience and usually freaked out and ratted myself out when I did disobey my parents. I think they liked it when I did that.

I am paying for my education. I am lucky because my parents are letting me use their car and they cover those expenses as well as my cellphone. But other than that, I am self-reliant and I wouldn't have it any other way. There are times that I have to sit out of activities because I am waiting for payday but it makes me feel grown up when I have to look over my budget. I am such a geek.

I guess what I am trying to get at it is my parents really did know how to balance being lenient and overprotective. We had our disagreements at times but overall living at home was great. Congrats! One child down...three more to go!

1 comment:

  1. are you the oldest? me too! Growing up I used to hate it, but now I really love it! good post!

    ReplyDelete