Friday, June 25, 2010

Life Changing

Day 24 (aka Wednesday) was the start of the SEED Project here in Trujillo, Peru. We are pretty much done with all of the tourist type activities so there aren't really any "pictures of the day." So I'm going to talk a little about what we've done with the SEED project so far. My group is assigned to two loan applicants. One of them wants to add computers with internet into their phone calling/cell minutes recharging shop to make it a tiny internet cafe. The other guy wants to buy an 11-passenger van to take people from Trujillo to Pacasmayo, which is 110 km away. We have been looking over all of their financials and business plans, we've met with them several times, scoped out competition, checked figures, and overall, we get to determine whether or not they should be recommended to receive the loan. It has been such a neat experience! I have been working a lot closer with the bus loan applicant and I am trying so hard not to get emotionally attached. They all live such humble lives and already work full time jobs. I am very impressed with the work ethic and determination that they all have and I want them to know that I really do care. Of course I have already gotten stressed out about it several times, but I just want to make sure that I put as much effort and time in as I possibly can because these loans can change their lives. I am so grateful for this program and to any business majors out there, or just anyone in general, get involved with due dilligence programs.It is an amaxing hands-on experience that really does change the way you think and look at things. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment